Code of ethics
SECTION 1 – UNDERTAKING
Each person, upon signing an application for registration or transfer of ownership and being duly elected to associate membership of the Irish Kennel Club, shall, in addition to agreeing to be bound by the Rules and Regulations of the Irish Kennel Club, be also bound by the Irish Kennel Club Code of Ethics relating to Responsible Dog Owner / Breeder set out under Section 2 hereof.
SECTION 2 – COMPLIANCE WITH CODE OF ETHICS
In consideration of accepting an application to register or transfer I pledge to the Irish Kennel Club that:-
- I shall breed in accordance with the breed standard. I shall not knowingly breed or sell a dog with health problems.
- I shall not allow to be mated any bitch kept by me (a) under one year of age, (b) or over eight years of age.
I shall not permit any bitch to (c) whelp more than four litters in her lifetime, (d) In any three year period not more than three litters are born to a bitch, (e) no more than two litters born to a bitch by caesarean section, or (f) no dog to mate under seven months or over twelve years of age. Permission must be sought and granted by the Irish Kennel Club to exceed these provisions.
- I shall not permit any of my pure bred dogs to be mated except to a dog of the same breed without the consent of the Irish Kennel Club.
- I shall ensure that all persons acquiring dogs from me clearly understand their responsibilities for the care and welfare of the animal.
- I shall provide to all purchasers of dogs or dogs placed by me written details of all dietary and immunization requirements and/or an appropriate publication relating to such.
- I shall not allow a dog to be given as a prize or donation in a contest of any kind.
- I shall ensure when selling a dog to another person that all documents as required by the Irish Kennel Club will be supplied to the purchaser, i.e. Registration Certificate with the application for Transfer of Ownership duly signed, and that the microchip number recorded thereon refers to the dog concerned.
- I shall ensure when selling a dog to another person that they are informed of any Endorsements/restrictions placed on the registration of the dog. Endorsements/ restrictions must be applied for on the correct application form supplied by the Irish Kennel Club and duly signed by the breeder. Endorsements/restrictions may only be placed on or removed subject to approval by the Irish Kennel Club Ltd.
SECTION 3 – FAILURE TO OBSERVE
Any person failing to observe any provisions of the Code of Ethics will have all CURRENT AND future applications referred to the Board of Directors for their consideration.
Issued January 2018